Avery Dennison Corporation announced that it plans to reduce its absolute greenhouse gas emissions by at least 3 percent every year between now and 2025. The company announced the goal in its new sustainability report.
“Cutting emissions while still growing as a company is the defining business challenge of the 21st century,” said Avery Dennison chairman and chief executive officer Dean Scarborough. “At the very least, it’s a matter of risk mitigation. Climate change threatens our business, our supply chain and the communities where we live and work. By using The 3% Solution, developed by World Wildlife Fund and Carbon Disclosure Project, as the basis of our approach, we expect to reduce emissions by a minimum of 26 percent by 2025.”
Between 2010 and 2015, Avery Dennison cut its emissions indexed to net sales by 15 percent based on a 2005 baseline. The company achieved the reduction mainly by identifying ways to use energy more efficiently. To meet the new goal, “We’re exploring every option, including renewable energy sources and fuel switching,” said Scarborough, who will discuss climate change with other global business leaders at a gathering coinciding with the United Nations’ COP21 climate talks in Paris this December.
In addition to its new emissions target, Avery Dennison announced additional goals in its sustainability report:
- • Developing a paper supply with origins that are 100 percent certified as sustainable, with at least 70 percent bearing certification by the Forest Stewardship Council, the gold standard in sustainable forestry;
- • Reducing landfill waste by 95 percent and reducing waste from the company’s label products by 70 percent;
- • Minimizing environmental impacts by ensuring that 70 percent of purchased film and chemicals conform to, or enable end products to conform to, Avery Dennison’s environmental and social guiding principles;
- • Using innovation in sustainability to grow revenues from sustainability-driven products and services; and
- • Continuing to cultivate a diverse, engaged, safe, productive and healthy workforce.
The company reported that it is on track to meet or exceed all of its original sustainability goals, set in 2010.
Avery Dennison’s sustainability report is available online at averydennison.com/sustainability.
About Avery Dennison
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global leader in labeling and packaging materials and solutions. The company’s applications and technologies are an integral part of products used in every major market and industry. With operations in more than 50 countries and more than 25,000 employees worldwide, Avery Dennison serves customers with insights and innovations that help make brands more inspiring and the world more intelligent. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company reported sales of $6.3 billion in 2014. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
Avery Dennison Corporation
Beth Hoang, (213) 403-0611
Cynthia Guenther, (626) 304-2029