About: Mr. Frank R. Wagner - Director Sales & Marketing
MLT is already very active in the smart packaging market. Our laser perforation systems are often used to create micro perforation patterns in flexible films for MAP packaging or macro perforation patterns for ideal ventilation in order to increase product shelf life.
1. A brief idea about packaging Industry in your opinion? How does MLT Micro Laser Technology GmbH play a role in the Packaging Industry?
As with most segments of the package printing market, our customers are looking to increase their efficiency and productivity while also offering new solutions to consumers. MLT laser processing systems are tailor-made to customer requirements while capitalizing on our in-depth knowledge and experience in laser technology.
2. “Smart packaging will become interactive with consumers“ What is your perception in this regard? Please give a brief idea about MLT Micro Laser Technology GmbH.
MLT is already very active in the smart packaging market. Our laser perforation systems are often used to create micro perforation patterns in flexible films for MAP packaging or macro perforation patterns for ideal ventilation in order to increase product shelf life. Another key area for MLT in the smart packaging sector is the scoring of flexible film material for microwave applications. There are several applications available on the market for microwaveable food products which are made possible by our perforation systems – for example, microwaveable frozen eggs and potatoes. Thanks to the laser scored pattern on the package, the consumer doesn’t need to pierce the film before placing it in the microwave. The shape and depth of the laser scoring pattern can be optimized according to the film specification as well as product requirements. This ensures that the correct cooking pressure and temperature inside the pack are reached before the controlled bursting along the laser scored contour occurs.
3. How did you get involved in the Packaging industry? Your key activities at work? What is the most rewarding part of your work?
MLT initially focused heavily on laser perforation machines for the tobacco and paper converting industry. Over time, we realized that many applications in the packaging industry, such as MAP and ideal ventilation, could also be solved with the use of laser perforation. Our key activities include the design and integration of laser processing systems for the tobacco and paper, packaging and automotive industries. We are a turn-key system manufacturer with the capability to choose the most suitable laser source for each application in order to achieve the desired speed and functionality. Part of our core competencies also includes specification of essential peripheral devices such as cooling and filtering units. The most rewarding part of our work is helping our customers find solutions to their technical challenges, some of which would not be possible without laser processing!
4. With years of experience in packaging – what would you estimate as the most important challenges for the packaging industry in the future? How do you overcome these challenges?
As little as seven to eight years ago there were large concerns about the use of lasers in the packaging market, especially with relation to food products. At that time, concerns about contamination or alteration of product composition were voiced. In today’s world, laser processing has become more accepted within the industry as packaging converters and professionals have a better understanding of the process. By helping customers understand the benefits of laser processing and the role it can take in producing packaging that stands out on the shelf, we are able to overcome these challenges.
5. What are the opportunities in the packaging industry? Does Packaging and Labelling pay a vital role for other product industries? What is one thing about the industry that you would change?
For some applications, established conventional processes, such as perforating materials with a hot needle, are an acceptable means of converting packaging. However, many applications could be well served by the use of lasers, and some are only possible with lasers. The market allows space for several technologies, and they can complement each other. There is a significant growth potential for laser processing in the packaging market in the years to come.
6. How would you expect the influence of social media platforms and different communication behaviours on product and marketing campaigns?
Social media can play an important role in spreading ideas and information to a much wider audience. It is also becoming more influential in maintaining consumer brand loyalty.
7. Could you share with us your key plans for the future? Your packaging dream?
The future vision of MLT is to continue to partner with our customers in bringing innovative solutions to the market. Our dream is to grow our business by helping our customers grow!
8. I'm sure the economy is impacting your business in a direct/indirect way - can you share your experiences? What are the market opportunities for Packaging Industry in the next few years?
For some applications, established conventional processes, such as perforating materials with a not needle, are acceptable means of converting packaging. However, MLT is always active in consulting our customers about both the economic and technical benefits of laser processing. As mentioned before, many applications in the packaging industry could be well served by the use of lasers, and some are only possible with lasers. There is space for all technologies on the market, and they can complement each other. There is a significant growth potential for laser processing in the packaging market in the years to come.
9. Packaging-labelling (www.packaging-labelling.com ) is a connecting point for buyers and suppliers across the global Packaging-labelling industry. Used daily as means of creating partnerships and as a point of reference by professionals within the packaging industry, this comprehensive resource supplies the latest news releases, detailed information on industry projects, event information and careful segregation of products and services. What do you think about our website www.packaging-labelling.com which promotes & brands Packaging-labelling today on such a wide scale?
Packaging-labelling is a useful platform to spread the word about our products and services to a wider audience in key functions across the packaging industry.